Sweet Teague

Sweet Teague

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hoping for Hair

Teague actually doesn't care (or know) that he is still very bald in the back, from the tip of one ear, around to the tip of the other. So I'm keeping him buzzed pretty short. He'll rub his head and say, "Haycut." Radiation keeps working for a while after you stop treatments, so his summer buzz might last until Halloween. I know it's a picky detail, and I really do know what's important here. Teague is alive. He doesn't have cancer. He is happy. I still can't count all of our blessings. But little reminders make it hard to put the horror down and walk away from it, and his hair loss is the last visible thing that screams the C word at me. I'm ready for it to start growing in. And although it will be thin, maybe it will help cover up that scar.

7 comments:

  1. Y'know me - I vote 'Bald is beautiful!' :) I know to you it's a reminder of Teague's illness, but it's a nice and easy-to-manage summer hairdo. He looks good rockin' a buzz cut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a horribly insignificant comparison, but when Lexie got her Cochlear Implant, she was this tiny 18-month old with long hair down past her shoulders, and they had to shave off a huge chunk on the side of her head. I hated it: It was this huge, awkward bald patch that accentuated this gross, red scar and bulgin, swollen area. It took a year for the hair to catch up and blend in. Again, I hated it. But, when it was gone, I kind of missed that physical reminder of what we had been through. I had just grown so accustomed to it. So, here's to the day you may miss that bald spot with an odd sort of horrible nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell him, Cousin James keeps it buzzed year 'round. Bald IS beautiful. He's a cutie to

    ReplyDelete
  4. and he is as handsome as ever! I love the baldy head of little boys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! He actually reminds me of a hair cut we gave to Tyler when he was about Teague's age. I love the comment "Lizzie" made. I think I would feel the same way. i am so glad that this has been a happy ending.
    We miss you guys. We need to go out with a couple of people who I know will make us laugh and who we will enjoy. Give us a call. 601-8330

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't seen you in a while, miss you guys. Just wanted to say Hi, and as you know I think Bald is beautiful too. But then again I'm married to a bald man so I have to say that (hahaha). Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete