Sweet Teague

Sweet Teague

Monday, June 22, 2009

The Popular Kid

Teague is a favorite at the hospital. I didn't realize how much so until the registration clerk commented that when Teague leaves, it's like a parade. Everyone comes out of thier places and sees him off. He waves, shouts, "See ya," gives high fives, and sometimes even gives hugs and kisses. One nurse said she loves starting her day off that way.

It's hard to believe how well Little Mr. Goodwill is weathering his treatments so far. He still has his hair, his skin doesn't look irritated yet, he's still got his appetite, and his sleep/wake patterns are the same. Makes me wonder in a weird way if this radiation is working. Dr. Watson said that usually the sedation is what's hardest on the little kids, so maybe things will stay this good for my little one.

Side effects or not, it's still a game of wait and see and hope. That may be part of what's wearing me down. I'm fatigued physically and frayed emotionally. And I know it shows. I'm sporting that haggard look that makeup, a hairdo, and an outfit don't fix. Beauty rest is not a myth. Emotionally, I wouldn't necessarily say I'm a wreck, but I do cry at TV commercials and e-mail forwards. It's kind of like that postpartum feeling, but it's not hormonal; it's just constant, gnawing stress. No matter how good life is, having your toddler in cancer treatment takes a toll.

But I can count blessings. Probably the most obvious one right now is that Teague is happy and energetic. Really, he is pure joy. Excited about life. He is my example and my bright spot because he doesn't know what there is to be stressed about. He is refreshing.

I'm so glad that he enjoys going to treatment. Almost every time we get into the car, he says, "Doctor?" If we say no, he says, "Awwww," in a whiny voice.

It's also good that he knows the routine: he leads the anesthesiologist of the day by the finger into the radiation area, pats the huge machine ("Pat-pat," he says), sits on the table and leans against me, and helps push the "sleepy meds" into his own body. Once when it hadn't yet taken effect, he said, "More." The next thing he knows, he wakes up and asks for crackers. And he sings on the way home.

No pain and lots of attention--who wouldn't love going to the doctor?




7 comments:

  1. And I thought I was the only one to cry during commercials and email forwards! Glad to know I'm not alone. Keep up the good work Sara, you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you guys! Teague has the happiest little spirit about him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspirational little guy you have! I'm sad that he has to go through all these treatments but glad that he is enduring it well so far. Hang in there guys. We think of you all often and continue to pray for little Teague.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU are refreshing! Your honesty is so beautiful! And it is so good to hear Teague is weathering all this so well! Anything we can do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. What can you say to that?
    What a blessing that he loves going, that he is happy! One of God's Tender mercies for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't know me but I went to school with Jared and his sisters. I've heard of Teague's story on Facebook. He has been in my prayers as well as your whole family. I have 4 children, the youngest is 2 1/2. I could not imagine the stress of having any of my children having cancer especially the 2 year old. I will always count my blessings even in the bad times thanks to ya'll. I pray God will give you the strength and rest you need and I am so happy he is doing well! :)

    Mandy Cook

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara,
    I am so glad to hear that Teague is doing so well! What a stress for you and your family. This is definately a trial that will strengthen you. I am so glad you are sharing your experience on this blog. I check it often. You all are still in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete