Sweet Teague

Sweet Teague

Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Scary Mask






Teague is not afraid of the Elmo mask. He doesn't even know he wears it. To me, it's still a bit freaky but I'm getting over it. The mask is form-fitted to Teague's face, and it attaches to the table underneath him to immobilize his head during treatment. He always has red marks on his chin and nose when he wakes up. Easy to see why he has to be sedated. That could make anyone crazy.

The medical staff is taken with Teague. They think it's cute that he hops on the scale when he's supposed to, cooperates with the blood pressure cuff, knows where the elevator is and which buttons to push, and loves to ride in and push the wheelchairs. And he says hi to everyone.

Dr. Child, the anesthesiologist we had today, said that lots of kids are freaked out from the first treatment to the last. But Teague doesn't mind. When it was time, Teague took Dr. Child's hand and mine and walked into the radiation area. He even pushes the syringe and essentially sedates himself. This morning in the car on the way up, he was saying, "Doctor. Meds. Push."

Happy baby makes treatment easier.

11 comments:

  1. I would want a luchador mask. That'd be awesome. And I'm pretty taken with Teague myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Elmo mask is kind of creepy. Glad he's doing so well :) I love that kid.

    - E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy baby makes treatment easier...amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the mask Sara...creepy, you'll never be able to watch Elmo again (darn ) :) Glad Teague stays in good spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya Sara, I have to agree that Elmo mask is creepy!!!! would scare the S#%T out of me!!! LOL that is great that he is such a great trooper!! heavenly father knew Teague could handle this better then his parents!! LOL what a sweet little boy. Glad to hear that all is going good!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How freakin' cute is your little boy? He melts my heart! I am glad he's handling things so well. That has got to be comforting to you. Prayers are answered in many different ways!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fascinating and scary and amazing and miraculous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just catching up on the blog...wow.
    kids sure are amazing aren't they?
    tougher than us weepy adults:)
    hang in there, :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sara,
    Please know that we are thinking of him every day and Tatum has had a few fun days with my kids. Let us know if we can help. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another Jamie...:) You're still in our thoughts and prayers. I was so happy to read that Teague is so happy at his treatments. What a blessing, what a sweet baby boy.

    I hope the other 2/3 go as well, and I hope Tatum is doing well, too! Happy Summer, BTW!

    ReplyDelete