Sweet Teague

Sweet Teague

Friday, July 17, 2009

Bittersweet

Today was Teague's last radiation treatment. Wow. It feels good to be finished, but we are also sad in a bizarre way to leave our friends at LDS Hospital. They made us so at home. They fussed over Teague from day one. They made all the hassle of getting up so early and dragging in there, better. Today they had presents and cards, hugs, and well wishes for us. And a few tears.



We forgot the camera today, and I wish we hadn't because we could have gotten a picture of Teague ringing the celebration bell in the radiation therapy office. It felt cathartic, but not completely. We'll always have to keep watch on this little angel boy.

Dr. Watson was explaining to us that because Teague has had radiation, his lifelong risk of developing cancer in general is greater. So much for getting it over with when you're two. I don't remember him mentioning that risk factor before we started, but it honestly would not have made a difference. We had to radiate because Teague's risk of this same cancer growing back was ominous.

What an example my little child is to me. He has frankly accepted everything that has come to him. He just moved on after his surgery. Didn't let the pain get him down. He found joy in daily trips to radiation. He has no concept of "no fair." It gives me a tiny glimpse of what the Savior meant when he said to become as little children. What a beautiful, happy way to live.

We are looking forward to getting back to normal. Being normal neighbors. Living a normal life. First step is my declaration today of mandatory naps. Braiden and Tatum came to the last few treatments with us, and they are tired, cranky, and fighting. I have been exhausted for weeks. So when little guy snoozes, we all snooze. I can't wait.

8 comments:

  1. HORRAY! I like your idea of mandatory naps! Get some well-deserved and much needed rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's hard to end anything even when you know the ending of the thing means moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your daily trips are over. I remember running into you a few days before they started, so I'm glad they are behind you. Teague was so cute and so proud to show me the scar on his head. What a special little guy he is. I think about you all the time...hang in there Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful news. My heart has just gotten a little happier knowing that Teague has passed another trial while teaching us all. Now, it's time to get out the worms and go fishing!! We love you guys, can't wait to see you all. Teague, you'll have to show me where you keep "Teague's pockets". I hope they are all empty by now. with love, auntie M

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart's with you, Sara & Quinn. I'm glad the radiation treatments are done, and you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats that the treatments are over with!!!!! now like you said you can have somewhat of a normal summer and life again!! he looks great!! you guys will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Luv to your sweet little family!!! Les and family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on making it through! What an accomplishment! It seems like Teague has done great. What a great example and a brave little guy! Hope you can have some fun family summer time now! Our thoughts will continue to be with you!

    ReplyDelete