Sweet Teague

Sweet Teague

Monday, July 20, 2009

Free at Last

Even though Teague's last radiation treatment happened on Friday, today is the day that I finally feel free. We had the central line removed. He has no equipment coming out of him anymore. I am surprised at how much this feels like a jail break. I can finally relax.

Teague had grown attached to his line. It never bothered him. He'd run up to a swing and hop on, belly first. No big deal. Now it's no big deal to me, either. Just a bandage. Teague doesn't mind that it's out. He held it on the way home. It's in a bag, so don't go thinking that's disgusting.

I can hardly describe the euphoria of not having ANY equipment on my child. My mind went back to when he first came out of surgery. He was hooked up to so many things. A central line going into the side of his neck, an arterial line in his wrist, a catheter, a saturation monitor, and those little stickers on his chest with leads on them. It was a mess to try to hold him. You move one thing the wrong way and the monitors go off. Over the course of our stay, he had fewer and fewer gadgets. Ugh, and even just walking into Primary Children's today brought back a flood of dreadful memories. How did we get through that?

Then came the permanent central line. For two months, it's been a constant. Change the dressing. Flush the line. Don't get Teague wet. I didn't realize how much the equipment was getting me down.

On our way home today, we were briefly behind a home healthcare equipment truck. I was so happy that it wasn't going to our house!

In two days, Teague can have a bath. Splash away, little man. And when the site is totally healed over, we're heading to the pool. It's time to play, people!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! You hould keep that line in a box for him. Seems gross I know but someday he will want to see it again. So glad you guys are done with all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the central line. Reading your post brought back a flood of memories. I hated that thing. It stressed me out! Jacob pulled his out two weeks after he got it. Talk about stress. I remember those days. Changing the dressing, flushing the line....ugh!

    I guess I just want you to know that I can relate (unfortunately) and am SOOOOOOO happy for you and Teague and the whole family! It effects everyone! Congratulations. You've made it through this overwhelming period of life. Life will never be the same, but as time passes and things are good, you'll start to not worry as much. I still get nervous everytime we have a check up.

    I'm just so happy for you guys and that you've made it this far. It's definitely reason to celebrate. Enjoy the rest of the summer and just play play play with your kids. You never know how long we'll have them around ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for Teague! I know this summer must have drug on and on for you, but I can't believe he's done already! Your whole family have been so strong through all this and you deserve that blessed dip in the pool. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete