Sweet Teague

Sweet Teague

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Learning the Ropes


We went to LDS Hospital this morning for Teague's CT scan/radiation mask fitting. Hospital visits are getting to be routine. When he had his very first MRI (the diagnosis one), I was nervous the whole day before. I worried about my baby being scared, about the sedation, and about what we would find out. With this test, I kept forgetting yesterday that we were going in today.

Teague is adjusting better than I am to constantly being the patient. When he saw the nurse get out the blood pressure cuff, he held out his little arm. He used to scream and cry. Not now. He totally gets it.

Today they let Quinn and me go into the CT room and sit on the table, holding Teague while they sedated him. This was also easy for Teague. He's used to me flushing his line (he even likes to push the syringe), so he didn't mind that the anesthesiologist was hooking things up to it.

About 10 seconds later, Teague crumpled in my arms. That was actually disturbing. I'd never seen anything like that. His eyes weren't even all the way closed. I tilted his head back onto my chest because he was drooping forward. Then they had me lay him on the table. Also disturbing.

The CT scan only took about 15 minutes. Teague woke quickly afterward.

Next stop is Primary Children's on Thursday for his MRI. Dr. Watson will take Friday and Monday to map out the treatment plan, and Teague's first treatment will be Tuesday, June 2. He'll have 33 treatments, so this will take nearly seven weeks. Then, about three weeks after that, Teague should feel like himself again.

I figure I can get used to holding my little boy for sedation if that's what will make it easier for him. But then, again, it doesn't seem to be him who is having any trouble with this.

6 comments:

  1. We have been at the hospital with Kiersten to get blood drawn and other tests, and it is very scary and stressful. I was thinking of you guys and how often you are in and out of the hospital. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our computer went down for a couple days...and it made me think of Teague more often because I didn't have the updates from the blog. I am glad to hear he is adjusting so well.

    I don't think there is any coincidence that he is such a sweet, mellow, happy kid. I can just imagine the conversation Heavenly Father had with him just before he came to Earth..."Now, Teague, those first few years will be a little more challenging, but you are going to a home with two wonderful parents who will love you more than you can even imagine and will be there every step of the way for you. You will be watched over by angels. Prayers will be said in your behalf on both sides of the veil. You will have all the love and care and support that you need to make it through this."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys, think of you often and just wanted to know if there is anything we can do to help? With school ending we have time to do a lot. Just let me know. Still in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sara- Just caught up on the mister! Wow... It's a whole new ball game! Keep on sister love... you can do this... you are an awesome mom to put your fears aside and carry on with what you know has to be for your baby to stay healthy! I am praying for complete zapation( just made that one up- God knows what I mean!) of this thing! Gone. Do you hear me? GONE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sara,
    What a rough road you guys have had in the last while. I admire your strength, though I'm sure there are days where you don't feel strong. I think you are doing a great job dealing with these challenges and working through your emotions. I appreciate your willingness to blog often and share your experiences. You are still in my prayers! Teague, too!

    ReplyDelete