Sweet Teague

Sweet Teague

Monday, May 4, 2009

It's a Good Day

This child is a new boy from yesterday to today. Teague slept through the night last night for the first time since his surgery. A full 13 hours. We were in disbelief. It was Quinn who barely slept; he kept wanting to check on Teague. I kept saying, "No way!"

We peeked into his room finally at 7:45 a.m., with pain meds in hand. Teague was happy, but I gave him the meds anyway.

His belly is also markedly better today. Still a little distended, but I can only tell because his belly button isn't quite as deep as it used to be, and after he eats, it shallows up a little more. But his tummy is softer, and he doesn't seem to be hurting.

I still can't keep him out of the pantry, but he is more willing to be distracted from food. Books and toys: good. I think he may be ebbing away from wanting to eat himself into a coma. Really can't blame the kid, though. I really think that this is the first time he can remember eating until he's satisfied. I'm convinced that he's been queasy for half his life.

I just can't count all of our blessings. I really can't. I know that this child is getting well because the Lord is blessing him. Every prayer has been heard. We are still being carried. And although I recognize that, I know that I am incompetent to really understand the depth. I also know that I am not self-sufficient. There is no way Quinn and I could have withstood what we have so far without help. I keep asking the Lord to teach me and show me all the things I can thank him for. Still, any thanks I give will never be enough.

I don't just mean because things have been going our way. Of course I'm thankful that they got the entire tumor out, that Teague has had none of the brain damage we were told was possible with this surgery, that he didn't have to have a drain coming out of his head, that he doesn't need a shunt, that he won't have chemotherapy, and that he is recovering well.

What I am most grateful for is the assurance that this child is in the Lord's hands, and that the faith of many has brought into our lives the blessings that were waiting for us. If those blessings had been different ones that what we had hoped they would be, and even if what's in store for us yet doesn't turn out they way we hope, I know that we are being blessed with all that the Lord has planned for us. I cannot ask for more than that.

7 comments:

  1. So glad little man is getting better and better he looks great in pic with his dad sleeping! I know you feel tremendous relief! Still praying often! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He just looks so good! What a little walking miracle he is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teague is looking good! What a blessing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're strength and humility is amazing. Glad he's having good days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am soooooo glad that Teague is doing better and better ever day!!!!! that is great news!! I have to agree with what the comment above mine says, your strength and humility is amazing!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You articulated that so well when you said you were asking the Lord to show you the things to be thankful for as you struggle to remember or think of or identify them all. That's a great approach! Well said.

    ReplyDelete