Sweet Teague

Sweet Teague

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Radiation Plan

We are going to do this. I knew before we went in for our consultation that we would. Quinn knew it too. I was hoping the Lord would tell me something different, but out of the blue this morning while I was drying my hair, I got the impression that this is our course. So I said a very tearful double-check prayer and was told that it is. Here are the sobering details on why.

CHANCES
Our radiation oncologist, Dr. Watson, told us that Teague's particular type of ependymoma, because of its location, is more likely to regrow than other ependymomas. With no treatment the chance of that happening is 60% (not 20 to 40% like we originally thought). After radiation, that figure drops to 13%. That number, I almost like. Since there don't seem to be any zero-percents, I'll have to take it.

The survivability numbers are also more serious than we originally thought. At five years, without radiation, only about 60% of patients are still alive. With radiation, 80% of the patients are alive after seven years.

I know, I probably sound like an idiot saying I didn't think my kid's cancer was "that" bad. We are learning more every time we see a doctor.

REASONS
The reason for the treatment decision change is that they've done new studies where they've radiated children as young as 13 months with lower doses of radiation than they use on older kids and had good outcomes. The standard of care up until now has been to hold off on radiation until the child is at least three, doing either chemotherapy or just checking with MRIs in the meantime. But the survivability goes way down when they wait on the radiation.

It's clear that this treatment will significantly improve Teague's odds of being cancer-free. And evidently, living, for that matter. It's going to be hard, but I know deep inside that this child will survive this cancer. Getting there will be the hurdle.

TREATMENT
Prep step one is putting in a Hickman line, which will be kind of a permanent IV just below Teague's collarbone. He'll have tubes coming out of it that they can just hook into every day for his sedation. The sedation is to keep him still during treatment.

Prep step two is getting a new MRI. The diagnosis MRIs he's had done already show 5mm slices, and Dr. Watson needs much closer ones so he can accurately plan where to shoot the radiation. I think he said 1mm. The irony is that he has to get near the brain stem (where the tumor was attached) without directly hitting the brain stem. He also has to be sure to miss the pituitary gland and one other important thing but I can't remember now what that was. They'll have to come at that area from several angles while missing the important things. I guess this is where physics and math really figure into medicine.

Prep step three is a CT scan with the radiation mask on. The mask is to keep Teague's head still during treatment and to ensure that they're always hitting the same spot. The CT is to give them images of Teague's head and mask together. Dr. Watson is going to make Teague's mask look like Elmo.

I'm pushing for the MRI and CT to be done on the same day since both will require sedation. I need to economize the irritation to my toddler (and minimize our trips to the hospital).

Teague's treatments will be at LDS Hospital in downtown SLC. I will have to bring him there fasting at 7:30 every weekday morning for six weeks. With sedation, radiation, and waking up, we'll be there about two hours each time.

SIDE EFFECTS
During treatment Teague will be tired, the back of his head will lose hair, and his skin will be burned like a sunburn. This treatment could affect his balance, but the doctor said not to the point where he can't do active things like play sports. He might just have to work harder at them than he otherwise would have.

Teague's speech may be affected, and he may end up needing extra tutoring in school. Dr. Watson said he should be able to stay within normal learning ranges for his age and grade level. A steeper learning curve. That's the part that made me cry. How can I do this to my child?

Teague will have neurological assessments before and throughout his treatment so we'll know just how much they're damaging him by saving his life. I really don't know how you can tell at age two what kind of a speller he'll be or if you're screwing up his algebra skills.

I have to remind myself that these are all possible side effects, not definite. Hope, hope, hope.

THOUGHTS
This is all too much information and realization for me to process at once. Too many emotions to feel. We know this is the right way to go. It is still scary. Even though we are to the keeping-cancer-away stage, which is probably a better place to be than the let's-get-it-out stage, I am more emotional about it.

I've renamed today's visit. "Consultation" is a new word for "here's how much freaking danger you're in."

This stuff evokes the fight-or-flight response in me. But this time, I'm more scared. I still say, fight. The cancer and the trepidation.

15 comments:

  1. Sara, Teague is a little fighter and I know that he'll come out of this on top. You are all in my daily prayers and I'll add some special prayers in there every weekday at 7:30 a.m. Hang in there and know that you're loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just run with patience. I love this in the Bible. It reminds me that we are in the Lord's hands... but patience is the space that we can feel peace, see miracles and hope. Patience is the space where the Lord can work with us. I pray that you will feel sustained as we run with patience through the next weeks of treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You are such an amazing mother Sara. Teague was blessed with parents like you and Quinn because you would be the best for helping him through this trial and helping all those that are touched by it, to become better because of it.
    I hope that things go smoothly as you start this routine. Anytime Taryn or Jordan or even my dad had to have tests or surgery I would convince myself that this time would be as routine as the last time & be one less trial in life that we had to endure.
    Please let us know if you need anything at all.
    Love & Prayers from the Wendels

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're definitely in our thoughts and prayers. I think I told you I had a nephew who HAD cancer when he was 3. They did the port in his chest also. He's about to turn 14 and is still cancer free. Teague is a tough little dude and we know he'll be watched over through all of this. As will you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing I tell people is, "The future is always theoretical." Some people think that's a scary thought, but I find it comforting. Since, we don't know what tomorrow will bring, there's no harm in believing in the best possible out come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Cow... This is just crazy, it is just so much for a 2 year old to handle, It breaks my heart!! I know the Lord will be with him and your family every step of the way. I love the Scripture in Alma 27 that says..."Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success."

    Keep hanging in there!!

    Please let us help you, we can have Tatum come play, help with meals, Whatever you need! Let us know!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Alicia. My heart is so heavy, but I know I can't turn back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't read your blog without crying! My heart just breaks for you but I have faith and hope that he will make it through and live a happy, cancer-free life. Anything is possible with the Lord's help. Just concentrate on that hope and faith! Six weeks seems so long but it's just a tiny window in his life. Let me know if I have help out with your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all of your thoughful updates. Just by reading, it's evident the thought, research and prayer that you put into this decision. Something I've always been amazed at is the resiliance of children. It may even be better that he is so young since everything in the brain is so plastic and able to make workarounds. We think and pray for you guys often. What kind of help will you need in the mornings with your other kids?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Didn't you just have a baby, like four hours ago? I believe it's YOU who's resilient! Steph, thanks so much. Really, Tate will just need places to play. But it's me who should be asking you right now what you need. And congrats on that little boy. Can't wait to meet him. Does he have big, round eyes like the others?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Sara! You've said yourself that so far, Teague's outcomes have ALWAYS been the best case senario through this...let's continue to hope and believe that he'll come out of this with the best case senario too!

    How can I help?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man, such a long road huh? I will continue to pray for Teague and your family and turn his name in at the Temple on a regular basis!! you guys will get through this! you are all so very strong!!! try to hang in there and let me know if I/we can ever be of any help!!!! Les

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just catching up on it all...I'm sure you impressed with how well you are taking this in stride, reading up and preparing yourself.
    Thanks for sharing the information too.
    We love you and your little boy:)
    We are here to help, let us know what we can do-- I will check in and we are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Todd and I were on vacation so I missed reading several posts and started to read the backwards. Wow. So much happens so quickly. I'm learning a lot from your posts about keeping perspective and about being real. I appreciate how direct and honest you are about what you are feeling as you go through all of this. There are hard things to endure--you are certainly an example of being full of faith which is, in my opinion, WAY harder than being faithful.

    ReplyDelete