Sweet Teague

Sweet Teague

Monday, May 25, 2009

The New Normal

We're figuring out what our new normal is. I'm sure we'll have to do it again once Teague starts his treatments. That was one of the good pieces of advice from C.D. I said I wanted to get back to normal. He said I'm changed forever. I'll never be the same kind of parent. What a relief. I can't express the pressure that takes off of me. I can quit trying to make it like it was. We can just take it from here and find what works.


We don't have to be the same, but we do have to function. What that requires of me is making sure the other kids get attention and that they get to do the things kids do. I have to give them my time while focusing more nurturing than usual on Teague.


Another aspect of the new normal is figuring out just when Quinn and Sara time is. I'll be leaving early in the mornings, he'll be getting home late. It will take discipline not to stay up into the night hanging out. Maybe we just will anyway.


As for today we're ready for a Memorial Day holiday with the kids. More good advice from a wise friend. Slow my clock down. Enjoy things. Take them in. Yeah, sometimes a long weekend comes at a good time.

3 comments:

  1. We're all for junk and jammie days. Don't do anything. Sit around and hang out with the kids. No pressure, no cleaning, no unnecessary stress (and yes, good junk food is usually a part of our tradition). Have a fun, relaxing day with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely- nap if you can and eat what you want. Nobody minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say stay up. You do need to rest when you're busy, but you also need to see each other. And there's a certain "rest" that comes from being together. I suggest you hang out at night and watch Bob Ross' The Joy of Painting - that show produces a kind of relaxation that's better than sleep. It's like reaching Nirvana, I imagine. It doesn't put you to sleep, but it sure is restful. I'm a fan.

    - Eliza

    ReplyDelete