Sweet Teague

Sweet Teague

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Himself

My toddler is acting like himself again. He really turned a corner yesterday. Perked up about 11 a.m., right about the time we got the good news that his final lab result for C-diff was back and it was negative. Good timing, because that meant that he could finally leave his room for the first time in more than two days. We walked around the hospital.

He's been playing with dump trucks, reading books, interacting with "Dooah" (Dora the Explorer) videos, and laughing at toots. That's the little boy I know. I didn't realize how much I've missed him.

He's still on clear liquids. We're taking it slow. His bowel sounds seem to be coming back, but sometimes the nurses can't hear anything because he screams when they come in. But I put my ear to his belly and heard a gurgle. Gives me hope. They're not letting us out of here until he's eating a regular diet and having real bowel movements.

We're keeping his appetite in check with sips of juice and berry-flavored Trident. He asks for a new piece of "gam" about every 10 minutes. And since walking is good for getting those bowels going, I make him go throw the old one away, give him a new one, and then send him back to the trash with the wrapper. It's a good game.

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear that little Teague is coming around! I hope that his little body will continue to heal and get back somewhat normality so that all of you can come home soon! Please let me know if you need anything! I love that you have created this blog to keep everyone updated, I look forward to your posts!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to read good news. Hang in there!! You and Teague are very brave. I am thinking of you and I love you. Love Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT NEWS!!! Thank you for sharing all his updates! Can we bring you some more berry trident to replenish his supply???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to hear that Teague is doing so much better. I hope you guys can get home soon. It just seems like normalcy would do him a lot of good: His own bed, his own toys...Still thinking of you often. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great news! Nothing works best then bribery! Keep the gum coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's hoping you continue to hear those precious gurgling sounds! Glad to hear that "your" little Teague is back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teague's bowels will get back to "normal" once he's been off of the morphine for a bit. I have to laugh that they expect him to have a "normal" bowel movement after he's only been on liquids for how many days now? What do they expect, really??? So happy for you all - hope the progress continues in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete