Sweet Teague

Sweet Teague

Monday, April 20, 2009

Little Pig, Little Pig, Here's Your Pancake

Teague finally got his pancakes today. After the yogurt, the first solid food he'd had. He downed it. Barely gave me time to stir it, and was impatient between spoonfuls. Then he drank some apple juice. And had some Nutter Butters.

That was right as they were releasing him from the PICU (hoo-freakin'-ray), and he held onto that bag of cookies all the way to his new room. Then he asked for the pancakes. So I ordered him some, thinking he may or may not eat them. Our friends Mindy and Stefanie were there, so while Teague waited for his food, Mindy held him so Quinn and I could go eat. We hadn't had a chance to, and it was about 11.

Stef said that Teague ate SIX little pancakes, and Mindy couldn't get them cut fast enough for him, so she gave him a little pile of Nutter Butters, which he was eating between bites.

For the first time in many days, I felt excited and happy. Might even say carefree. There is just something amazing about your child eating. Another thing I'll never take for granted again.

The magic didn't last, though. Within a couple of hours, Teague was having bowel trouble. Runny bowel trouble. (Gross, I know, but this is a medical update, right?) The little distended belly was rock-hard, and his inny was flat. So off he went to x-ray. No peristalsis. That kid was just leaking from the pressure, and there was lots of stool further up in his bowel. Nothing had moved from his stomach. This is apparently a side effect of sedation. His bowels are still asleep.

So now, he can't have any food or drink until that little system starts moving again. They're giving him a suppository to clean out the lower bowel, and they're pumping all that hard-earned breakfast out of his tummy. Rats. Quinn's with him. I had to leave. There's only so much I can take.

5 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear Teague can swallow! Hopefully, his digestive tract will wake up soon. He looks really good in the pictures. Let me know if you need anything at all. Heather A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sarah,

    Our family has been out of town and so we just found out about your precious Teague. I am so sorry--my heart is broken for you. This has been a tough few months for you and your family. I don't know why these things happen. But I can tell you that the Wigingtons are a special family. I have noticed you from when you first moved in to the ward in January. You are such a strong lady and I know Heavenly Father loves you and your family and will see you through this journey. He loves His little Teague. I know that miracles happen--I believe especially when innocent children are involved. I pray that you will feel peace and be able to see things from the eternal perspective. Please know that our family will be praying for you. I would like to help in any way that I can.

    Much love and prayers,

    Heidi Willford

    ReplyDelete
  3. Braiden gave me his version when he got home.. Bummer to hear that he couldnt keep his pancakes but it will happen again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! At least he's got his appetite!

    ReplyDelete