Sweet Teague

Sweet Teague

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mama Bear

The phlebotomists can go to hell. They kept waking my baby up last night, and for the first time since I've been here, I got snippy.

It's bad enough that the nurses come in every four hours to check his blood pressure, temp, and whatever else. They had been in at 8, and Teague went back to sleep. Then at 10, the door opened and the lights came on. And I don't mean the dim lights. Full ceiling lights. Finger prick, fill the vial, crying baby.

Five minutes later, it's, "Oh, sorry. That was supposed to be a vein. We'll get a false read from the finger prick." Starting over with the vein. By that time it was close to 11, so I just had the nurses do their midnight checks early so that Teague wouldn't have to be up again in another hour. They did. Love the nurses.

They gave him until a little after 4 a.m. to come back, so he got five nice hours of sleep. But he had trouble settling when they were done. He wanted to "wock-wock" (rock), so we were in the rocking chair for more than an hour. Finally at 5:30, he was back in bed.

At 6 a.m., on came the lights. I'm not kidding.

"What do you need?"

"I need to take more blood."

"You're going to have to wait until 8."

"OK; let me check with the nurse."

Go ahead and leave the obnoxious light on while you do that. Teague, of course, was crying, so I said, "He's already up. Just get the blood so you can get out of here."

They did.

Then I laid down the law for the nurses. Lab people can come and suck whatever blood they need, but they have to do it on the nurses' schedule. My baby already cries every time he hears the door open. We've got to economize the irritations.

I've started putting off their four-hour checks now, too, if Teague is asleep. He's not going to be able to kick this bowel problem if he's sleep deprived. His oxygen saturation has been normal the whole time he's been here, his blood pressure has been normal since Sunday, and his temp has been normal as well. Leave him the heck alone and check him while he's awake.

9 comments:

  1. Liza was holding back an acidic remark when we came back up from the cars last night and saw the tech was back in Teague's room. The poor boy just wanted some sleep. Seriously, Sara, good for you for laying down the law and regularizing the schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Mama Bear! Let that baby sleep! (And thank heavens for nurses!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! poor baby!!! I don't blame you one bit!! I know how irritating they can be!!! thank gosh for those nurses!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know all too well exactly what you are talking about. I would get so ticked off when different people would come in and mess with Jake. Most of the nurses were really good to TRY and be quiet, but I got ticked one morning when someone came in at 5:30 to empty the hazardous waste box. Really...do you have to do that at 5:30 am? UGH. Matt's favorite comment is..."it's not their child, it's just their job". It can be so frustating I know. But, you are the parent, so you can put your foot down, because YOU know what's best for your child! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job putting your foot down momma!!! I would have done the same thing.. he's not gonna get back to normal if he doesn't get some good sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara, good for you to stand up for yourself and Teague! It is sometimes a little hard and intimidating to stand up to those hospital techs, but well within your right as a parent. We have been keeping up with Teague's progress through your blog and Facebook entries and are glad to hear that things are going fairly well for him. Hopefully he can kick the stomach bug thing so you can get out of the hospital sooner than later. It definitely can wear on you after awhile. Keep putting one foot in front of the other. We continue to pray for all you guys during this time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I would be exactly the same way. Poor little baby! I had a great time seeing you the other day for lunch. Wish I could have given Teague a hug though. Hope things are going better with his tummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to lay down the law. You go girl! How's his tummy doing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl I got all wound up just reading this post... I want to tell somebody off! That's crazy. Good for you. Get em!

    ReplyDelete