Sweet Teague

Sweet Teague

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Call Me Ileus

Teague is still having tummy trouble. He has eaten, though. Had a good dinner last night and a hearty breakfast this morning. Actually he pigged out at 4 a.m. and had regular breakfast at 9. But that belly keeps getting distended, and the poops are still runny. Something's not right. He walks like a pregnant lady and is very irritable.

The good thing is that today's nurse has been more vigilant about keeping the pain meds coming; we're trading off between Lortab and ibuprofen, and he's been a lot more comfortable and able to rest. And he had a good night last night (which means I did too). Funny how I'm calling being up only every 4 hours a good night. But seriously, it was like heaven.

He is back on clear liquids, so Jell-O was his dinner. He likes it, but keeps asking for crackers. They've sent stool samples to the lab to see if he's caught a bug, which I think he has. Since the labs aren't back yet, he's on precautions, which means that the nurses wear gloves, robes, and masks around him, and visitors have to, too, and are asked not to touch him. One of their suspicions is that his belly bug could be contagious, and until they know for sure, we're trying to prevent spreading. Parents are the only ones who don't have to mask up. I guess they figure we've already been exposed.

Quinn has been here all day, and I have needed that. I think I've hit a thresshold and I find that I keep "escaping" when my little guy gets upset. He hates having his blood pressure checked or his IVs messed with, and it's more than I can take today. I feel both guilty for leaving and relieved that Quinn is here to cushion.

7 comments:

  1. Hey girl... hang in there! In just a little while this will all be a blur! He will be feeling better each day. My heart goes out to you. It's so stressful for our babies to be sick... so that makes this stress on steriods. You can do it! You are so strong! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara---I appreciate the updates. Teague is never far from my mind; neither are you. I wish I could be there in person to give you a big squeeze, but it will have to be enough to know that I'm sending one. Actually, I'll send two--give one to Teague.

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will they let you give him any lactobaccillus? It is a normally occurring bacteria in the gut that can get off balance during surgery and antibiotics, and with it gone, other bugs may have room to move it. I have gotten it at the pharmacy, just have to ask at the counter. I'm not sure if they would recommend that or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it's hard, but try not to feel guilty. I saw first hand how it was and you NEED to escape and do it as much as you need. it will make you stronger and in a better position to care for Teague. hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand your need to "escape" in those hard moments. Do it as often as you need! Teague will remember that he was loved this WHOLE time by mom and dad. Our girls are even remembering him in their prayers. Because of all the love and prayers being said for him, all of you will make it through this stronger and with a bond like never before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine how emotionally exhausted you must be. Let Quinn take some of the pressure off. That's what spouses are for. I'm still so amazed on well Teague is doing. You're all still in our thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No one can blame you for needing a break. Hang in there my friend.

    ReplyDelete