Sweet Teague

Sweet Teague

Sunday, April 26, 2009

One in a Million

One in 1.4 million, really. That's the incidence of ependymoma (pretty rare, huh?), and it usually strikes infants and children under 5, little boys more often than little girls. Yeah, I've finally had a chance to read the pamphlets the oncologist gave us. Pamphlet also said that since you can't take extra tissue from around the cancer, there are always some cells left behind. That's why getting all they could see is called a gross total resection as opposed to a total resection. So here's hoping those left-behind cells just die.

It's finally sinking in that my kid has cancer. Well, hopefully had. I know, I'm on the slow boat here. There's just been so much to take in this last week. My head has been spinning. Plus, you can't get these doctors to say the C word. After Teague's first MRI, they said they suspected it was ependymoma, and I know that words ending in "oma" mean cancer, but no one said it. Then when we met Dr. Kestle, he was using words like "mass" and "growth." At one point I had to cut in, look him dead in the eye, and say, "We're talking about brain cancer here, right?" He said, "Most likely. We won't know for sure until we get a piece of it." I guess the euphemisms help it go down easier.

I've also been unable to fully absorb all the ways we've been blessed. I pray that the Lord will bring all these things to my remembrance so that I can record them and never forget. It's astounding, and I am only now beginning to have room in my mind to comprehend it all.

All I can say right now is that we have been comforted, guided, and protected by the spirit of God. One way that comes to mind is that when we met with Dr. Kestle for the first time and he stepped out to check O.R. availability, for a fleeting moment my thought was: We don't know this guy. We don't know anyone who has been to this guy. Shouldn't we do some research?

No sooner did that thought come than it was gone. The Holy Ghost said to me, "Give Teague to him. Hand him over." I felt no nervousness. I never had another thought of doubt. It's hard to describe the calm that has abided with me.

Evidently we were given a surgeon who's one in a million, too. How can I ever be grateful enough for that?

7 comments:

  1. I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't come back. The pics are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writings are beautiful and now the lessons can be learned by all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very touching, Sara. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences so we can all be strengthened by it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful testimony. Thanks for sharing and I'm so glad you were all comforted these last couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's hope it's all gone and doesn't come back!!!!! A very good friend of mine had brain cancer, I dated him a lot during high school!! I know how hard this is for you guys and you're loved ones!!!! I will continue to keep you guys and Teague in my prayers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Sara. This is Maria Smith (formerly VanCott--from Morinda days...ring a bell?)

    I have been following your blog and keeping you and your little guy in my prayers. It all hits too close to home. My six year old son just had major brain surgery up at there in January. It wasn't cancer, but it was in the same spot and much of the surgery was very much the same--same zipper up the back of his head! Your whole experience of meeting with the Dr.s, having the surgery scheduled too soon to have time to think, waiting during the 5 hour surgery, time in the PICU and now in the neuro/trama unit waiting to go home... I am really feeling for you! The Dr's up there really are the best and I know you are in good hands.

    One amazing thing I learned through my experience is that kids, and brains, are amazingly resilient! I know you will see him recover faster than you imagined was possible. I wish you all the best and will keep you and Teague in my prayers. Take care,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sara...

    I'm back in town and finally caught up on the last few days' blogs. I'm happy to hear more positive reports since we spoke on Tuesday. I know you've had ups and downs but I know you're doing great and I know the Lord will continue to give you strength just as he will continue to give Teague strength. I hope his little belly is better soon so everyone can continue to rejoice and he can eat more pancakes!

    Y'all are constantly in my thoughts and prayers! Now close your eyes and feel another squeeze...love ya!

    Rindi

    P.S. I'm so inspired by your diary...the diary of a momma...lessons about never underestimating the gifts the Lord has given us.

    ReplyDelete