Sweet Teague

Sweet Teague

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Results Are In

Great news: no chemotherapy is recommended for now. I can't even digest that. I've had so many emotions these last few days that I haven't fully felt the impact of all of them. I'm wondering if I've felt the impact of any of them, actually. I've just been managing the crisis. Turning into the skid. But I know that in a few hours, maybe days, when I fully understand what good news this is, I'll be ecstatic.

So here's the deal. The pathology report is that this is garden-variety ependymoma. Not anything that's more aggressive than usual. The oncologist told us that with I think she called it a gross total tumor resection (what the rest of us would call "they got it all"), the rate of recurrence is the same with or without chemotherapy. So they're going to err on the side of not poisoning my child.

Ependymoma will recur in about 1/3 of cases within the first two years. So we're going to have an MRI for Teague every three months for the next two years, and if it doesn't start up again during that time, they'll take it down to every four to six months for the following three years. That will get us to the magic five-year cancer survivor mile marker.

If it does come back, it's likely to be in the same spot, and they'll either hit it with the poison or do another surgery and then hit it with the poison. I'm not thinking about those things right now because there's a 2/3 chance I won't have to. And I don't have room in my brain to think past tomorrow anyway.

I am happy that for now my child can just heal from his surgery and go back to being a normal kid, this time with an appetite. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about not doing chemotherapy. Sounds twisted, but I just think, if there's some in there, let's kill it. It's probably a good thing that they won't risk overtreating.

As far as radiation goes, it's the most effective treatment for ependymoma, but they don't do it in kids this little. Those little developing brains can end up with neurologic problems if they zap them with radiation. They like kids to be at least three years old, and Teague turned two exactly one month (to the day) before his surgery. So that's out.

I also had a fear that three months is a long time to wait to find out if there are any little stray cancer cells in my baby's brain that may be already growing. But the oncologist assured me that if there are, they wouldn't even be able to see them six weeks from now. So I can wait the three months for them to check again.

I know that my child is more blessed than I can comprehend. And that's a comment both on the goodness of God and the friedness of my mind.

20 comments:

  1. That IS great news, we will continue praying for him!

    Thanks for the updates.

    Hope he enjoys his next big batch of pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so GREAT! I am so glad, you have all been in our prayers. It was fun to see cute Tatum today in the neigborhood- unfortunately Syd had just left for hula. We miss living around the corner from you! Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great news! You are great at your updates, very informative and thorough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Good work to you guys, what a crazy/emotional week! (Plus the weeks he's been sick!) I am so glad he won't need chemo, and I appreciate all the updates. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quinn, I just read your facebook post about your little Teague. I am so happy to hear your good news about no chemo. I hope that the two of you are coping well with waiting for answers. This stuff always hits really close to home with me because my oldest daughter had cancer when she was three and went through a year of chemo. I remember being in your shoes. One of the hardest things for me was the unknown and waiting for answers. She is ten now and healthy as can be. You are at a great place at Primary's and I am sure you are receiving the best care.
    Thank you for sharing your story. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, such good news. I am with you though Sara in thinking about chemo just to make sure it is all gone! Good to know they don't think it will help so you don't have to put him through that though.

    Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hugs and Kisses from Texas!! I was so relieved to hear no chemo... I get what you mean about wanting to zap any bad stuff but I didn't want him to have to do it right now. You guys need a breather! I love the pictures! He is such a doll. I have told so many people about Teague.. asking for prayers and just because he has been on my mind and in my heart! We love yall. Chat soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats the best news I've heard in a long time!Congrats on the great news!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miracles never cease...I am so happy to hear that little Teague will nothave to endure chemo. This is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sara. this is such good news. I feel so relieved for little Teague that he doesn't have to go through that right now. We'll keep you all in our prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YEAH!!! I am sooooo happy to hear that great news!!!!!! I bet you guys are so releaved!!! a lot of MRI's for the next few years but that is good to keep on it to make sure their are no more cancer cells growing!!! I did put his name in the temple today!!! :) I am glad for Teague that he does not have to go through chemo right now!! I will continue to pray for your little guy!!! keep us posted on him! :) Les

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great news! I can understand how you are feeling conflicted over getting no chemo if there is anything left... let's just hope nothing ever grows back!!! I'm so glad he doesn't have to go through chemo, especially being so young.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What awesome news. I was out with the family, when Mindy called me to give me the update. I am so happy Teague does not have to go through chemo now. He can just recover. Thanks Sara for not only keeping us posted, but to allow us to see what the power of prayer can do, and the comfort Heavenly Father gives. Just another testimony that He knows each of us and our needs. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a roller coaster ride! I am so happy for that news! I wish I could send Teague a bouquet of pancakes. Here's hoping for a smooth road to the 5-year mark and that you guys will continue to be inspired to help him when you need to. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's wonderful news. I understand why you're nervous, but if he's doing good today, then today is something to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sara!
    I am so happy for you and teague! What a blessing! You both have been in our prayers. I hope Teague has been able to eat, and I hope you will be able to rest. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a relief - that is great news! We will still be keeping you in our prayers and our thoughts. We miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sara - I think I'd feel the same as you - a little hestitant about them NOT doing chemo. But rest assured Teague is in good hands. This is great news and we are all celebrating. And we'll keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm SO glad you don't have to do chemo. Trust me, it's a huge blessing. I'm sure the doctors will be keeping a close eye on him. Any change and they will be on top of it. We actually did the wait and see thing with Jake for a year before we started chemo. We just had a lot of doctors visits to stay on top of his blood counts. Once his blood started to go downhill, we started chemo. We'll just continue to pray that this is all the treatment Teague will need. BTW--which Oncology doctor did you see?

    ReplyDelete